Monday, March 23, 2009

Another vote for the 'old, dead' guys!

From The Cross of Christ by John Stott:

To be disrespectful of tradition and of historical theology is to be disrespectful of the Holy Spirit who has been actively enlightening the church in every century.” (12)

It looks like John Stott thinks the old theologians should be respected. Of course, they weren't always right, but they deserve serious consideration and study. And it seems to me, when they were wrong they were often wrong in the right way.

For instance, I believe that John Wesley held to some doctrines which were incorrect. As we all do. But I wish my doctrines were incorrect in such a fashion so as to cause me to live a life like John Wesley lived his.

You've got to love the old guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment