Friday, September 11, 2009

Hell and Annihilationism

Alright, so about 8-9 months ago I led one of the discussions at our Friday night theology group. The discussion, "What the Hell?!" covered the three typical theologies concerning the afterlife (or lack thereof) of souls not reconciled to Christ. These views are generally called Traditional (Hell is a place where souls are eternally separated from God), Annihilationism (souls not reconciled to Christ are destroyed), and Universalism (all souls will eventually be reconciled to Christ after judegement and/ or some sort of refinement).

After studying the three views, I found scripture to most support Annihilationism, though I've been recently challenged on this as it seems this is one of very few theologies I differ from the reformed thought bubble.

I recently discovered however that John Stott actually holds to Annihilationism. Here is a link to an essay which summarizes Stott's arguments, which he initially put forward in 1989:

http://www.theologicalstudies.org.uk/article_destroyed_gray.html

Then, here is a link to Sam Storms website (Enjoying God Ministries) where he takes the time to provide answers to some of Stott's main points:

http://www.enjoyinggodministries.com/article/hell-and-annihilationism/

Storms rebuttal isn't direct, though apparently John Piper did write a specific letter to Stott about the ideas he put forward, I'd like to find that as I continue to form my theology.

No comments:

Post a Comment