Saturday, June 19, 2010

Ortlund quotes Owen

From Dane Ortlund's blog:

Owen: The Ignorance of a Christless Intellect
He that has attained to the greatest height of literature, yet if he has nothing else--if he have not Christ--is as much under the curse of blindness, ignorance, stupidity, dullness, as the poorest, silliest soul in the world. . . . The more abilities the mind is furnished with, the more it . . . strengthens itself to act its enmity against God. All that it receives does but help it to set up high thoughts and imaginations against the Lord Christ.

. . . I hope I shall not need to add anything to clear myself for not giving a due esteem and respect to literature, my intention being only to cast it down at the feet of Jesus Christ, and to set the crown upon his head.
--John Owen, Communion with God (Christian Focus 2007), 185-86


2 comments:

  1. I really love Owen. He just doesn't pull any punches. In fact, at times it seems he looks for places that may need a little tenderizing just to cut through all the pretense of proud erudition.

    By the way Jude, I absolutely love the new look. It makes me feel right at home. Are you guys going to keep it or just trying it on?

    Brandon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Brandon. Just playing around with the look ... I'm liking the darker blogs these days, like yours, and thought I'd give it a try. Didn't ask the other guys so we'll see what they say.

    ReplyDelete