Sunday, August 22, 2010

Jesus of good causes


I'm not against good causes per se; but they don't terminate on themselves. There is something bigger and more important, more integral and primary. That is, there is Jesus Christ and him crucified.

From Jesus Rediscovered by Malcolm Muggeridge:

In any case, I was generally uneasy, not just about Quakers, but about this whole concept of a Jesus of good causes. I would catch a glimpse of a cross, not necessarily a crucifix; maybe two pieces of wood accidentally nailed together, on a telegraph pole for instance and suddenly my heart would stand still. In an instinctive, intuitive way I understood that something more important, more tumultuous, more passionate, was at issue than our good causes, however admirable they might be.

No comments:

Post a Comment