Sunday, August 1, 2010

Reading for August

With the onset of the second month of my summer vacation(teaching has some benefits), I am beginning a new focus on reading. In July I worked towards clearing up the reading projects I was in the middle of; Christ-Centered Preaching by Bryan Chapell, This Momentary Marriage by John Piper, God Crucified by Richard Bauckham, One Thing by Sam Storms, and Surprised by the Power of the Spirit by Jack Deere.

This month I hope to focus on reading about prayer. I have three books on prayer lined up. I will begin with a book given to me by good friend Tim Kerr who pastors at Sovereign Grace Toronto; The Hour That Changes The World by Dick Eastman. That will be followed by A Praying Life by Paul Miller and Hunger for God by John Piper.

My hope is that as I continue to align my mind with God's truth on prayer that the Spirit will continue to transform my heart with godly affections. These affections will motivate me to actually pray more and pray more effectively. The goal is not more knowledge of prayer, but I believe that is the first step. The destination is a more vibrant life of communion with my Redeemer.

Will you pray for my prayer life? Please do.

I'd love to hear what your reading list for the month of August includes.

4 comments:

  1. Good list, Jude. When I'm feeling particularly dry my favorite prayer is simply: Father, give me the grace to pray. And you know what, he always does.

    Brad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jude,

    I struggle with prayer also. I so desire an honest communion with the Father but I am either unpracticed or impatient when it comes down to it.

    As far as reading, I am hoping to finish, Tozer's "Pursuit of God" and I have also started a book by J. Mack Stiles called "The Marks of the Messenger".

    Tony

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brad,

    good call ... I need to do that more often.

    Tony,

    Tozer is obviously solid. I'd be interested to hear your opinion of Stiles' book. I've never read any of his work. Btw, I checked out your blog today. Looks great.

    Jude

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jude,

    Thanks for the visit. I'll let you know about the Stiles book.

    Tony

    ReplyDelete