Friday, February 11, 2011

Devotionals

This year I have really come to appreciate devotionals. For a few months I read Morning by Morning, a daily devotional by Charles Spurgeon, as well as Morning Thoughts, a similar work by Octavius Winslow. I always thought that daily devotionals were sort of ... well ... cheesy. But my mind has been convincingly changed. I am currently being enjedified (edified in an enjoyable manner) by a devotional by John Piper: A Godward Life.

Here is a quote, about revival, from A Godward Life that I liked:
Revival is the sovereign work of God to awaken his people with fresh intensity to the truth and glory of God, the ugliness of sin, the horror of hell, the preciousness of Christ's atoning work, the wonder of salvation by grace through faith, the urgency of holiness and witness, in the sweetness of worship with God's people (111).
I hope you will find devotionals a profitable endeavour at some point in your journeys.

No comments:

Post a Comment