Monday, February 14, 2011

From yesterday's sermon

I preached at my church this morning. The topic I was given was "The Work of the Holy Spirit". I focused on the Holy Spirit glorifying the Son as in John 16:12-15 as well as the Spirit's application of redemption and our union with Christ. Below are a few quotes I used:

Leon Morris: “The work of the spirit is Christocentric. He will draw attention not to himself, but to Christ. He will glorify Christ.”

D. A. Carson: “Just as the Son by his ministry on earth brought glory to his Father, so the Paraclete by his ministry brings glory to Jesus: that is his central aim.”

John Calvin on union - “... we must understand that as long as Christ remains outside of us, and we are separated from him, all that he has suffered and done for the salvation of the human race remains useless and of no value for us ... he unites himself to us by the spirit alone.”

John Murray on union: “what is the nature of our union with Christ? ... It is Spiritual ... “Spiritual” in the New Testament refers to that which is of the Holy Spirit. The spiritual man is the person who is indwelt and controlled by the Holy Spirit and a spiritual state of mind is a state of mind that is produced and maintained by the Holy Spirit. Hence ... the bond of this union is the Holy Spirit himself.”

2 comments:

  1. Jude, will you be giving us a link that we may hear the sermon, and possibly a downloadable version of it?!? I regularly listen to sermons when I am in the shop.
    Also, I really like Morris, great quote! His Romans commentary is very good. Is the quote above from his comment on John?
    Did I mention I listen to sermons regularly at the shop?

    ReplyDelete
  2. :)

    Ok, ok! You mentioned that before and the sermon you asked wasn;t uploaded yet and (fill in lots of excusess and more excuses). This past sermon will take some time to get loaded, but I know its not the first time you've asked, so ...

    Below is the link to our study center. Obviously, my sermons are the ones under my name. Both Nathaniel and Rich, from this blog, also have sermons on there. However, one condition: we all would appreciate feedback ... even criticism.

    Here you go: http://churchintheoaks.com/studycentre/index.html

    Bless you!

    ReplyDelete