Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Does the believer have one nature or two?

Have you ever found the ideas and concepts of the old and new nature of Christians confusing.
  • Do we have one nature or two?
  • What is the old nature and what is the new nature?
  • Who is this 'old man' that Paul talks about?
  • What is the 'new man' referring to?
  • What is the 'flesh' and how does it work in me?
  • Aren't we a new creation?
I found the article found at this link very helpful: Does the Believer Have One Nature or Two?

There are still some questions I have, but this article cleared a lot of them up for me. Take a look at it!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the link! I have only read the first page or two, but it does look helpful, and very intriguing.

    So where do you stand? One or two natures?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I basically agree with the author. It depends on how you define 'nature'. If nature means the totality of our being, then I believe we have one. If we are are regenerated we have a new nature; if not, an old one. But, we have, as Packer would say, contrary 'urges' or 'inclinations' continually at work in us that we will fight until the day we die.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I agree with you. I have also wondered if there is something at play in the viewpoints of things being temporal versus eternal. The Scripture says we are seated with Him in the heavenly places as if to say we are already there, and from the eternal standpoint, where linear time is not a factor, we are there even now, but from the temporal standpoint it is not yet since our sojourn here is not over. Essentially the "already not yet" scenario with the old corrupted man and the new regenerated man.

    ReplyDelete