Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Nothing Better


Question 60. How are thou righteous before God?


Answer: Only by a true faith in Jesus Christ; so that, though my conscience accuse me, that I have grossly transgressed all the commandments of God, and kept none of them, and am still inclined to all evil; notwithstanding, God, without any merit of mine, but only of mere grace, grants and imputes to me, the perfect satisfaction, righteousness and holiness of Christ; even so, as if I never had had, nor committed any sin: yea, as if I had fully accomplished all that obedience which Christ has accomplished for me; inasmuch as I embrace such benefit with a believing heart.

I continue to be encouraged and amazed by the wonderful truths propounded in the Heidelberg Catechism as well as the commentary of that doctrinal statement by Kevin DeYoung in his book The Good News We Almost Forgot.

Daily my conscience accuses me that not only am I guilty of transgressing God's commandments, but also that sin 'crouches at the door' and I regularly invite it in! But daily-moment by moment-the Spirit also reminds me that "the perfect satisfaction, righteousness and holiness of Christ" has been granted and imputed to me! God considers me righteous despite my sin and it is "as if I had fully accomplished all that obedience which Christ has accomplished for me!" Seriously, what's better than that!

No comments:

Post a Comment